Gift Aid is a fantastic government scheme that allows charities to reclaim the tax that donors have already paid on their donations through UK income tax or capital gains tax.
Trinity Hospice can claim Gift Aid on eligible donations, adding an additional 25% onto eligible donations – so every eligible £1 donation becomes £1.25.
Claiming Gift Aid can make your sponsorship money worth up to 25% more.
This is a great scheme available to charities, however there are some important things you need to know to make sure we get it right and claim Gift Aid on eligible donations.
When asking family, friends and colleagues to sponsor you via your paper sponsorship form, please follow these notes to make sure they complete the form correctly:
- Write their name in full – sorry, any nicknames or incomplete names won’t be eligible
- Provide their complete full home address only – this must include flat/house name or number, street and postcode
- Write down how much they are donating, so that we know how much Gift Aid to claim
- Fill in the date they give you your donation
- After reading the Gift Aid declaration on the sponsor form, ask them to tick the box to confirm they are happy for Trinity Hospice to claim back the tax on their donation
Gift Aid online
If you are fundraising online via Just.Giving.com, then Gift Aid will be claimed automatically on all eligible donations. However, please don’t add supporters sponsorship money to your page under your own name and details, as these donates aren’t eligible for Gift Aid.